Thursday, May 17, 2012

Dogs Are Everyone's Best Friends!

  Ever since I was about 3 years old we have had a dog.  First it was just the family dog, then everyone started getting their own dog.  I had one other dog before I got Riley, her name was Tasha.  She was such a comfort during those awkward teen years.  Then after she passed I swore I was done with dogs.  I couldn't take the pain that comes every time you loose one.  But, I got RSD and suddenly I'm trying to fit my mom's 55 pound standard poodle in my lap!  So, I convinced myself through much deliberation that getting a lap dog during this time would be very beneficial.  that's how I met Riley, my rock and my little champion.
  Riley was about 2 years old when I got him.  He was a show dog who had reached the end of his show days.  His owner was a woman who lived alone and had taught him to be aggressive, especially towards men.  My dad had business up close to where she lived so he got to meet Riley first.  Riley just walked right up to him and put his front paws on my dads legs.  It is because of this that we always say that somehow Riley knew he was supposed to come home with us.  From the moment that Riley and I met we have been inseparable.  Every time I get home whether it has been 20 minutes or 2 days he acts as if I had been gone for a year.  Every time he has to go to the groomers I sit and pace all day until he comes home.  I couldn't have asked for a better companion to help me through all this.
   My mom who has Chronic Fatigue has a dog of her own.  He was taught for a brief period to be a service dog for her.  Which means he can get things for her or she can use him to brace herself when she gets up.  He is a big clown and sometimes forgets how big he really is.  He's bigger than most standard poodles.  But, you never really think about anything happening to them before it's their time.  Well for some reason my mom's dog is suddenly very sick.  The vets can't figure out what's wrong with him.  It's a very scary and trying time for my mom.  Especially after just losing her dad.
   Dogs are such an important part of my family's life.  It's just hard to remember that with all the good memories and good times comes with that sad good bye.  But, somehow we always find a way to open our hearts again.

No comments:

Post a Comment